Thank you for participating in the 2021 Safety Stand Down. You can continue to utilize the resources on this web site to keep the focus on health and safety all year long.
Submit Your Resources, Stories, and Photos
Click here to share your department’s safety and health resources, media coverage, activities you are planning for Safety Stand Down, and success stories from your department.
Safety Stand Down Daily Themes
Each weekday during Safety Stand Down was dedicated to a specific aspect of a comprehensive rehab program. The daily themes were as follows:
- Monday: Heat Stress/Hydration
- Tuesday: Cardiac Health/Nutrition
- Wednesday: Exposure Mitigation
- Thursday: Mental Health
- Friday: Rehab Support Operations
Download the NFPA’s new Rehabilitation for Emergency Operations and Training Fact Sheet here.
The Valley Safety Officers (AZ) developed a Safety Stand Down Bulletin for the week.
Find resources for each of the daily themes here.
Videos and Presentations
Utilize the following presentations to help educate department members on important aspects of this year’s theme of Rebuild Rehab.
- Rehabilitation Sector – Click on each number in the graphic to watch a video relating to that aspect of the rehabilitation process (special thanks to Atomic Werewolf Studio and Scottsdale Fire Department)
- Advances in Oral Rehydration Therapy, presentation by Dr. Eduardo Dolhun
- Cardiovascular Disease in Firefighting – Healthy Lifestyle Counter Measures, presentation by Dr. Stefanos Kales
- Integrating Contamination Control & On-Scene Rehab, presentation by Dr. Gavin Horn
- Focus on Carcinogenic Exposures, presentation by Dr. Jeff Burgess and Captain John Gulotta
- Facebook Live Discussion on three aspects of this year’s theme – hydration, exposure risk reduction, and psychological wellbeing
- Podcast regarding this year’s theme
Safety and Health Week Quiz Sweepstakes
The NFPA, in coordination with the NVFC, IAFC, and FDSOA, annually hosts an online Safety Stand Down Quiz to reinforce the messages behind the event’s theme. 200 participants of this year’s quiz have been randomly selected to receive a limited-edition Safety Stand Down challenge coin. Take the quiz.
Safety and Health Training
Specific training tools and messages for this year’s Safety Stand Down are available on the Resources page.
Find additional training from the following sources:
Future Safety Stand Down Dates
Safety Stand Down is held annually during the third week of June.